Friday, July 19, 2013

Le Prélude

Not easily detected, nevertheless I find enough of the prelude in Liszt's composition to warrant this post. He was, of course, a great admirer of Chopin's work. I've come across nothing in Chopin's work specifically resembling that of anyone but the composer himself, who on occasion quotes his own nocturne or waltz. I will try to include examples of such in future posts.

Franz Liszt Grand Concert Solo, S. 176 (1851)
[beginning at 1:17]

Heard here...
Frederick Chopin – Prelude Op. 28 No. 4, in E minor (1839)
[from beginning]

This blog is intended as a space within which I will share my findings related to classical music appropriation. Many composers in the past have quoted, borrowed, and recycled the themes and melodies of others. Having already noted many such instances, I hope to include the more interesting, and convincing, examples herein.

No comments:

Post a Comment